Responsible Conduct of Research
|Who||Condition||Timeframe to successfully complete RCR module and provide documentation to department office|
|All degree-seeking students (undergraduate and graduate)||
Funded/employed by an external grant requiring RCR training
Enrolled in a course for which research is an integral element, e.g., honors thesis,
master’s thesis (5000), doctoral dissertation (6000)
Conducting activities identified by his/her advisor as involving research
Within 2 calendar months following the effective date of an Employment Action (EA) form
Within 2 calendar months of the course start date
Within 2 calendar months following the activity commencing
|Graduate students1||All degree-seeking graduate students||Prior to the end of the second semester of enrollment|
|Postdoctoral fellows/associates2||Within 2 calendar months following the effective date of an Employment Action (EA) form|
1For graduate students, the Plan of Study form includes a section to verify compliance with the university requirement for training in RCR. Advanced degree students will, in many cases, be required to complete additional, more discipline-specific, RCR training. The scope and extent of the additional required RCR training are at the discretion of the department.
2Postdoctoral fellows/associates will, in many cases, be required to complete additional, more discipline-specific, RCR training. The scope and extent of the additional required RCD training are at the discretion of the department.
What is the department's responsibility and involvment?
- The department office will maintain documentation certifying the individual’s successful completion of the RCR module.
- All graduate students should have enrollment holds placed upon them. An advisor may remove the hold upon documented proof of the student having completing the RCR module being placed in the student’s departmental file.
- Students (undergraduate and graduate) and postdoctoral fellows/associates who are supported by external grant funds must successfully complete the RCR modules within 2 calendar months following the effective date of an Employment Action (EA) form. Those who have not will have their employment terminated at the end of the two-calendar-month period. Reinstatement of employment is strictly conditional on satisfactory completion of the module.
Training Course Information
Responsible Conduct of Research Web-based Training Course. The CITI training course will meet NSF requirements.
- Getting Started with CITI Training (instructions)
- CITI Training Course (login)
- Plagiarism Module Training (instructions)
Other Training Opportunities (optional)
This is an interactive movie on research misconduct that allows the viewer to act in the role of a grad student, a post-doc, a principal investigator, and a research integrity officer while making decisions pertaining to research integrity.
This is the ORI site for a wide variety of training resources and other valuable related information.
This website offers ethics training for all disciplines, and has a wide variety of other excellent resources.
The 75-page PDF (Adobe Acrobat) book by Judy Stern and Deni Elliott is a well written monograph that helps students develop the tools to see ethical problems from a new vantage point.