Student Research Opportunities
Niblack Research Scholars Program - How to Apply
The Niblack Research Scholars application consists of:
- The completed Niblack Research Scholar Application (including the Essay)
- A résumé
- OSU Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- The completed and signed Faculty Sponsor Form
- One letter of recommendation from an OSU faculty member other than your faculty sponsor who is familiar with the student’s academic work
View the complete set of application guidelines here.
Step 1: Students must meet with the Department Head of their desired department to discuss academic goals and ideas regarding a potential research area. The Department Head will refer the student to selected faculty members to review lab options and choose a faculty sponsor willing to provide necessary oversight of the student in the lab and a graduate student mentor. (Note: The graduate student is selected by the faculty sponsor, not the undergraduate student.) The research project and schedule are determined between the student and faculty sponsor.
Step 2: After a faculty sponsor, research lab, and graduate student mentor have been determined, the student must complete the NRS application and submit a resume and transcript. As part of the online application, the student will provide the names and email addresses of (a) the faculty sponsor, and (b) the faculty member (other than the faculty sponsor) who will write and submit a letter of recommendation.
- The online application system will automatically contact/notify these faculty members and request they submit their respective components (i.e., Faculty Sponsor Form from the faculty sponsor; letter of recommendation from the second faculty member).
Complete application packets with all five (5) components must be received via the online application portal by the deadline. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Application deadline: 11:59 p.m. on Friday, February 10, 2023.
- This includes all 5 components!
Scholarship winners will be announced in April 2023.
Proposals will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- The student’s qualifications to successfully conduct the project.
- The educational value for the student.
- The faculty sponsor’s commitment to the educational experience for the student.
- The letter of recommendation from another faculty member at OSU.
- The sponsor’s and graduate student mentor’s availability to oversee the research.