- For Inventors
- Our Process
- Agreements and Forms
- Policies and Procedures
- Software and Open Source Licensing
- TDC Programs
- OSU NSF I-Corps Site Program
- IP Basics
- Ownership of Intellectual Property
- Grant Applications as Prior Art
- Other Resources
- Technologies for Licensing
- University Startups
- About TDC
- Publications and Reports
Invention Record and Report Form
The Purpose of the Invention Record and Report (IR&R) form (Word & PDF) is to record what was invented and the circumstances under which the invention was made or the technology created. It provides the basis for a determination of patentability and for drafting a patent application. It is an important legal document, and careful consideration should be given to its completion.
All sections of the IR&R form must be completed before it is submitted to the Technology Development Center (TDC). A complete* IR&R form should include the following information.
- Take care to read the notes provided in the IR&R form concerning what constitutes inventorship. If OSU files a patent application, actual inventorship will be determined as a matter of law by a patent attorney. Note: The rules for inclusion as an inventor on a patent application are not the same as for scientific publications.
- Attach copies of any publications, abstracts, poster presentations, etc., that you have prepared and/or presented relating to the technology.
- Attach copies of any publications others have prepared (prior art) relating to similar technology.
- List the names of all sponsors. Funding often carries patent obligations, so be sure to include all outside agencies, organizations, or companies that actually provided any type of support to any inventor for research relevant to the invention.
- Provide applicable grant of contract numbers and OSU account numbers.
- Attach copies of all applicable grants or contracts.
*Incomplete IR&R forms will be returned to the inventors and may delay the technology transfer process.
Submission of IR&R forms are accepted via e-mail or campus mail.
IN ORDER TO ENSURE RECEIPT OF ROYALTY PAYMENTS, INVENTORS MUST NOTIFY TDC OF ANY CHANGES IN CONTACT INFORMATION (e.g. change of home address, employment information). FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN DELAY OF PAYMENT TO YOU.