Student Research Opportunities
Otto S. Cox Graduate Fellowships for Genetics Research
The Otto S. Cox Graduate Fellowships for Genetics Research are available to support outstanding OSU graduate students with a proven record of research in genetics from any disciplinary or interdisciplinary program.
There is a limited number of competitive $1,000 fellowships, and applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must have been enrolled at OSU full-time in fall 2021 and spring 2022 semesters; and
- Must be continuing as a degree-seeking graduate student in the fall 2022 semester.
A call for applications is announced by the Vice President for Research in early April, and applications are due in late June. Applicants may be self-nominated, and there is no limit by graduate program. Applications are submitted electronically and include the following materials (in the order given here):
- Applicant information (include name, Banner ID, program of study, and faculty research advisor’s name);
- 300-word statement by the graduate student highlighting his/her contributions to genetics research and how the award will support the research (double spaced, 1 in. margins, 12 pt. font);
- 100-word genetics research impact statement written for the public;
- Resume or CV;
- Most recent OSU transcript (unofficial transcript is acceptable);
- Letter of recommendation from primary research advisor (limit one page);
- Photo release form; and
- Endorsement statement signed by the department/unit head or graduate program coordinator.
Graduate student applicants are notified regarding their selection in early August.
- Questions should be directed to Christine Johnson (email@example.com; 405-744-2361).
- Previous Cox Fellowship Awardees are ineligible.
- It is anticipated that there will be funding available for multiple fellowships, but awards will be determined by merit.
- Awards will be posted to the students’ Bursar accounts during the start of the Fall 2022 semester. (Students should familiarize themselves with the OSU Bursar policy regarding refunds. Information can be found at https://bursar.okstate.edu/refunds).
- The Cox Fellowship for Research in Genetics is not a grant. The awards are made to the student, and not the University. The fellowships are a component of a student’s total financial aid package.